If you’re either a vegetarian or a vegan and you’re planning to travel to New York soon, don’t worry because here are the top 15 vegetarian and vegan in New York!
As a matter of fact, I have compiled a list of the best vegetarian and vegan restaurants (even gluten free) around town with different cuisines including: Asian, American, Continental, romantic settings and even gourmet food trucks.
Top vegetarian and vegan restaurants in New York City
├ Caravan of Dreams
├ Candle Cafe
├ Candle 79
├ Dirt Candy
├ Quantum Leap
└ Additional vegetarian and vegan restaurants in New York
Blossom is the most popular vegetarian and vegan restaurant in New York. The restaurant has 2 things in mind when creating their menus: the health of their customers and the health of animals.
If you’re looking for a romantic vegetarian restaurant for 2, Blossom is an excellent address since it’s a cozy setting with candles in the beautiful neighborhood of Chelsea. All their products are also organic and local. In addition, a complete selection of organic wines and beers is available.
Address: 187 9th Avenue, between West 21st & West 22nd streets), NYC
Caravan of Dreams
It’s very easy do pass by this little restaurant without noticing it.
With its very unusual decoration and deemed lights, Caravan of Dreams offers many cuisines including: tofu, Mexican dishes, salads, pizzas, smoothies, organic sauerkraut and even kosher food.
Besides, the restaurant offers a live concert every almost every evening.
The good tip to order at this NY restaurant is to try the Burrito Caravan and Seitan Nachos.
Address: 405 East 6th Street (close to 1st Avenue), NYC
Candle Café proposes pure vegetarian dishes with local products. Their main goal is to improve the quality of life of individuals and improve life on earth with sustainable development.
You can try different dishes like sweet potatoes, black beans, a Cajun seitan burger with caramelized onions and avocados, hummus, quinoa tabbouleh and tasty salads.
The friendly and chic design of this high-end restaurant along with very attentive staff is the ideal vegetarian and vegan restaurant in New York City.
This good tip of this restaurant is to order the BBQ tempeh & Sweet Potato sandwich and you won’t be making any mistakes with this delicious sandwich!!!
Address: 1307 3rd Avenue (Between 74th and 75th streets), NYC
This NY vegetarian and vegan restaurant is located on the Upper East Side.
Candle 79 has 2 floors and offers a fine cuisine with organic vegetables, seitan, tempeh, seaweed salad, veggie burger, tofu and also a list of beverages including fruit juice, smoothies, organic cocktails and wine to complete their menu.
Everyday, a special of the day is proposed like squash soup or zucchini enchiladas.
This “vegetarian restaurant” creates a great number of dishes. You can try a tartar of avocado-jicama along with coconut mushrooms and cucumbers.
Address: 154 East 79th Street New York, NY 10075
Located in the East Village, the vegetarian restaurant “Dirt Candy” and its owner Amanda Cohen offer hearty and tasty meals with mainly vegetables.
In this “veg house”, you’ll find vegetables including zucchinis, cauliflowers in dishes called the jalapeno hush puppies, grits with marinated shiitakes, poached eggs tempura, lemon gnocchi with sprinkled Brussels’ sprouts and chestnut cream.
You can also try different very yummy deserts like caramel and sesame pudding prepared by the pastry chef Lee Debbie.
The good tip of this restaurant is to order the “Hush Puppies Jalapeno” served with maple butter, the perfect choice to start your meal.
Address: 430 East 9th Street (close to avenue A), New York
This New York’s Zen and exotic restaurant serves vegetarian cuisine in Midtown-Korean in a simple and nicely decorated setting.
Some of their ingredients and recipes are the based on food given in Buddhist Monk temples since here, there’s strong religious belief that vegetarian “food=healthy life”.
I recommend ordering a flat rate sample menu, which will allow you to try the best specialties of HanGawi.
You must know that the menu changes every month but you might encounter a plate of stuffed persimmon, stuffed lotus with mini pancakes, followed by fried maitake mushrooms with spinach and rice.
Gluten free and organic dishes are also available as well.
You must know that as a tradition, you must remove your shoes at the entrance of the restaurant so have a pedicure or put a nice pair of socks!!! 🙂
The good tip at HanGawi is to order the tofu cheesecake.
Address: 12 East 32nd Street (Between Madison and 5th avenue), New York City
In the west Village, Quentum Leap offers a large choice of vegetarian, vegan and pescetarian (for those who only eat fish) dishes.
You can order veggie burgers, Asian flavors with tofu and fish free of MSG or additives.
Most of their dishes are served with a side of brown rice, or steamed vegetable.
Don’t forget to leave some room for homemade and delicious desserts.
The best tip at Quentum Leap is the Fire Rock Burger, the Malaysian Satay and the grilled salmon.
Address: 226 Thompson St New York, NY 10012
Additional vegetarian and vegan restaurants in New York
I have listed other vegetarian and vegan restaurants in New York along with their addresses, and a Google map for each:
– Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC : 248 Broome Street New York, NY 10002
– Buddha Bodai Vegetarian Restaurant : 5 Mott Street New York, NY 10013 / 77 Mulberry St, New York, NY 10013
– by CHLOE : www.eatbychloe.com
– Cinnamon snail : West 33rd Street & 7th avenue, Manhattan, NY 10005
– Dao Palate : 329 Flatbush Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11217
– Darbar indian grill : 157 East 55th Street New York, NY / 152 E 46th St, New York, NY 10017
– Eva’s : 11 West 8th Street #1 New York, NY 10011
– Franchia : 12 Park Avenue New York, NY 10016
– Liquiteria : 170 2nd Avenue New York, NY 10003 / 26 E 17th St, New York, NY 10003 / 145 4th Ave, New York, NY 10003 / 102 8th Ave, New York, NY 10011 / 402 6th Ave, New York, NY 10011
– Nanoosh : 2012 Broadway New York, NY / 111 University Place New York, NY / 173 Madison Avenue New York, NY / 469 7th Avenue, 469 7th Ave, New York, NY 10018 / 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112
– Peacefood Cafe : 41 E 11th St, New York, NY 10003 / 460 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10024
– Red Bamboo : 140 West 4th Street New York, NY 10012
– Souen : 326 East 6th Street New York, NY 10003 / 210 6th Ave, New York, NY 10014
– Spring Street Natural : 98 Kenmare St, New York, NY 10012
– Terri : 60 West 23rd Street New York, NY 10010 / 100 Maiden Ln, New York, NY 10038 / 685 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10017
– Viva Herbals Pizzeria : 179 2nd Avenue New York, NY 10003
– LuAnne’s Wild Ginger All-Asian Vegan : 380 Broome Street New York, NY
– Wild Ginger : 226 East 51st Street New York, NY / 182 N 10th St, Brooklyn, NY 11211